Ask him why he chose matchboxes as the theme for his first book and the 33-year-old photographer says, “I’ve been something of a magpie, collecting tidbits. When I saw two matchboxes called New Shape and New Skip right next to New Ship, I was fascinated.”
Thus began a decade long journey of collecting matchboxes from across the country—from shops, street corners, wastepaper bins, everywhere. “I viewed them from an artist’s perception and found their logos and artwork very interesting,” he says.With the help of illustrations of animals, objects, people and even advertisements, Datawala’s month old book unfolds an undiscovered world of matchboxes. “I have highlighted aspects of a matchbox we don’t pay attention to,” he says. For example, few of us know that strike patterns vary some have fine lines, while others are heart shaped
Designed as a large matchbox, complete with slipcase and striking edge, Matchbook is the first-ever collection of Indian matchbox labels.
Curious and visually stunning, matchbox labels come in a staggering variety of designs. A well-established brand quickly spawns imitations and variations as small producers compete with the large in an anarchic marketplace.
The book showcases almost one thousand colorful members of this extended family, including such brands as Cheetah Fight, Judo Deluxe, Tip Top, and New Shit. The introduction provides an insight into India's complex match industry, where an unjust economy throws a shadow over the vibrant graphics it produces







2 comments:
I would be interested to have a look at the book...had been interested in matchboxes for years now...but never collected enough...good to know about the fact that sombody has taken out a book on it. Let me know how to have a look at it as well.
GLAD TO MEET YOU. I AM ALSO A COLLECTOR OF MATCHBOXES FOR LAST 22/ 23 YEARS. AND I AM A REPORTER. ANYWAY, I HAVE ALREADY BEEN SEARCH FOR YOUR BOOK AT KOLKATA i.e MY HOMETOWN. BUT FAILED. CAN YOU SEND ME A COPY? I WANT TO TRANSLATE YOUR BOOK IN VERNACULAR ( BENGALI LANGUAGE). HELP ME PLZ...
MY POSTAL ADDRESS IS----
ARUNANSHU BHATTACHARYA
JAYA APARTMENT, FLAT NO 1
28 B, R M BHADRA ROAD
KOLKATA 700 075
WEST BENGAL
INDIA
Post a Comment